The recent flooding has once again caused a considerable amount of damage to Berksdale Golf Course. At this time, we estimate it will cost more than $500,000 to get Berksdale operational. Unfortunately, none of these repairs will provide a long-term solution to the damage caused by flooding. With so much development upstream, it is anticipated that each time we experience a flood, the POA will need to spend a significant amount of money to get Berksdale operational each time. Even if we were to start immediately to get Berksdale open, it would take at least six months to complete the work, which means we would still lose the most important months of the golfing season. Fortunately, the courses further downstream, Kingswood and the Country Club, received much less severe damage.
The POA Board of Directors has decided to maintain Berksdale Golf Course at a limited level and preserve the beauty of the area, while a hydrological study is conducted on Berksdale and the other course located in the flood plain (Kingswood and the Country Club). Additionally, the Board will develop feasibility studies to investigate and consider alternative uses for the land. In the coming months, we plan to hold town hall style meetings so that we can receive input from the community. We ask for your patience as we work quickly to get all the information necessary to make an informed and long-term decision for Berksdale and the other courses in the flood plain.