The POA’s Golf Maintenance Department will aerate greens beginning April 16 on Berksdale. Kingswood and Dogwood courses will also be completed during the week of April 15 – April 20. Details regarding the aeration were provided by Keith Ihms, Director of Golf Maintenance.
By core aerating greens, water and air movement are allowed throughout the greens profile. Aerating the greens will promote the overall health of the courses’ turf, aeration also works toward removing thatch and building stronger root systems.
The main purpose of pulling cores is to manage the thatch layer on the greens. The thatch layer is mostly made up of dying and un-decomposed leaf and grass material. By pulling cores we are removing some of that material and preventing it from building up to an unacceptable level.
Thatch causes the greens to become soft and spongy, which can make for poor putting conditions. When thatch gets to this point it also can become a problem dealing with the other issues it causes, such as fungus growth, mower scalping and “localized dry spots,” which will not absorb and retain moisture.
Aerating creates openings in the surface for water and nutrients to be absorbed. As well as the sand that will be used to smooth the putting surface, fill in voids and amend the green profile.
A second sand topdressing will be necessary a week or so after aeration to complete filling of the aeration holes and smooth the surface.
Weather permitting, aeration and maintenance dates and locations will be:
- April 15 – Berksdale Golf Course will be closed for aeration.
- April 16 – Berksdale Golf Course will be closed until 11 a.m. for maintenance.
- April 16 – Dogwood Golf Course will be closed for aeration.
- April 17 – Dogwood Golf Course will be closed until 11 a.m. for maintenance.
- April 17 – Kingswood Golf Course will be closed for aeration.
- April 18 – Kingswood Golf Course will be closed until 11 a.m. for maintenance.
The Bermuda greens at Scotsdale are scheduled to be aerated May 28 & 29, July 8 & 9 and August 5 & 6. Brittany is scheduled for July 15 & 16.