Pictured is #13 green Kingswood, the painted lines are the edge of the original greens cavity. Over the last 20 or so years the surrounding Bermudagrass has encroached into the bent grass drastically reducing the size of the green.
The green has become so small that pin locations have been reduced to just a few areas and the foot traffic takes a toll during the summer months. This results in more man hours spent maintaining this green and an increased cost in chemicals and fertilizers to keep the green playable.
The decision was made to expand the green back to its original size using bent grass sod grown onsite on our nursery green and possibly sod from the closed holes on Berksdale.
The green will only need to be closed for 2-3 days during the fall in order to give the staff time to strip the Bermuda grass and install the bentgrass sod.
The process will be as follows, with all work being completed by Golf Maintenance.
- The Bermuda will be sprayed with herbicide every 14 days until frost. Once the Bermuda starts dying it will turn brown but still be playable.
- The bent grass nursery will receive additional fertility to get it ready to be transplanted.
- Towards the end of October or first of November the dead Bermuda will be stripped, the ground will be lightly graded to match the green surface and bent grass will be taken from the nursery and laid around the green.
- The green will be reopened once the new sod has been laid.
- During the fall the new sod will be rolled and topdressed and grown slightly taller than the green to encourage rooting.
- In the early spring of 2019 the height will gradually be taken down to greens height at which time the new sod will be playable as a greens surface.
- We fully expect the new area to need additional maintenance during the 2019 season until it is fully established. This will include additional hand watering, topdressing, and small tine aeration.
- The large oscillating fan from #6 Berksdale will be moved to the left side of #13 green Kingswood and the small square fans in the back of the green will be removed.
We appreciate your patience during this time and apologize for any inconvenience. We are confident that this project will improve your golfing experience.